Monday, July 15, 2013

Circa 1800 French Antique Hand Painted Fan with Mother of Pearl

I don't collect fans.  However I love all things regency and biedermeier style.  I spotted this at an antique shop, fresh from the UK.   It is handpainted, and I loved the scene on it.
Be sure to click on the photo, it takes you to all the pictures on the post.  Then right click again and  select "open image in new tab".  Then you can left click one more time and see the enlarged photo - and really appreciate the handpainting.
If you clicked on the photo and looked at the enlargement, doesn't it remind you of a Zuber wallpaper scene?  I love it!

 Placed at the back of a display cabinet loaded with smalls, it is the perfect backdrop.  Instead of putting a plate in the the back, the fan is a nice change to the shelf.  To the left of the fan is a Val St. Lambert stem and an American Brilliant Cut Glass applecore stem.  In front of the fan is a Dresden demitasse, a jeweled French cameo basket, and a miniature silver teaset.



I love this fan.  The painting is an exquisite scene.   Of course I love this because it shows all the wonderful lace on the dresses.  I also love the gilt border design with roses.



 Check out the mother of pearl sticks that are carved with scene.   Condition wise this fan does have a few issues, the paper folds are wearing.  I don't plan on starting a fan collection, it is more of a period collection.  Does that make sense?

So go find a fan... be careful if you are looking for period fans, there are alot of Victorian fans where the scene is not handpainted, it is a lithographed print.

Below is a find from an antique show this weekend.  It's my new favorite print.  It is a hand-colored stipple, and has everything I love in an old print, a boy wearing period clothing, a dog, sheep, what could be better?

 Circa 1796 - 1804
 love the old beat up frame, and the reverse painted glass.

Get out there, hunt for treasures when it is to hot to garden, but stay cool, no matter where you are!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely. Regarding staying cool....I live in CT and it has been a long cold and snowy winter. I am so ready for warmth and antiquing!

    ReplyDelete