Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Antiquing - Antique French Bombe Chest

It's hot out.  It's hard to garden in the heat.  About 2PM is a good time to go antiquing.  I enjoyed this pleasant diversion to my favorite shop.

We found a lovely chest.  I knew instantly that it was going home.  It wasn't perfect, but still very elegant, yet the plain marquetry seems perfect for my country house.  It is a lovely light colored wood with ormolu mounts on it.  It looks like pine to me, but it is probably something else.  Is it Kingwood?  Most French chests tend to be around 1900, but this one really does look earlier.   I am wondering if the hardware has been replaced?  The marquetry needs some work, it is what you might say "a bit chippy".
 I like the simple marquetry.  Sometimes they can be over the top.

The beauty above would still work for me, over the top and all, but I will have to settle for mine....as the one above sold at Christies for $55,000.

I wanted to put it in another room that has light colored wood, but frankly I went for temporary functional--underneath the tv.  I'm working on my bedroom, one little bit at a time.


I thought it would be nice to put a painting on a little tole stand.  I don't know how to hide that cable TV box.


  If I ever find the appropriate sized transferware plates on Ebay, I'll show you my completed plate wall.  It looks really bad, I'm missing two sizes on the other side.  Oh, the weather cooled down.  Back to outside.

Here's to finishing projects, I just made a little step towards that.  Other things going on:  I found a bear topiary half price at the nursery.  I thought he was cute.  I think this may wind up being topiary row.

Everyone needs a little whimsy to lighten up the seriousness of life!   Yes, and everyone needs a tractor to dig a hole in clay for a 15 gallon plant.

2 comments: